Monday, February 23, 2015

2015 Princess Weekend...Part 1

I just finished another amazing Princess Half Marathon weekend and have so much to share that it's going to have to be broken down into 3 parts...at least.

Thursday I met up with my niece and sister from some breakfast and then we headed out to the Fit for  a Princess Expo. We picked up all of our bibs, t-shirts and then headed to browse the goods. Loren and I even waited in line for probably 45 minutes to buy some Princess merchandise. Seriously...I didn't even wait that long for any rides this weekend.

Oh, and yes, I am in my Chicago winter coat with layers underneath. Winter decided to hit the sunshine state in a big way. Apparently the Frozen theme was literal.

After the expo we headed over to Morocco for some lunch. Neither Lorren or Cathy had ever been there, so it was a fun experience for them and delicious as always.

It was definitely an early to bed evening since we had the 5K in the morning. It was also the coldest run I have ever been on.  Before the race runDisney had heaters set up for the runners and we were wrapped up in mylar blankets. I honestly have no idea how many layers I had on, but it was a lot.

Scott was working on site that day, so I was able to meet up with him before the race. I may have stood extra close to warm up.

The three us decided we were going to walk the 5K since we were running the other two races that weekend. Also, since it was pretty freaking cold, none of us really felt like running.

I love the 5K course. The course wraps through EPCOT and there really is nothing better than walking around World Showcase with all of the torches lit and the sun just starting to peek out.

The three of us also wore matching shirts in honor of Peggy Sue. Peggy Sue was an incredible woman that would hold up inspiring signs along the course to encourage runners. You always saw her going into the Transportation and Ticket Center (usually when you needed a boost) and again right after mile 12. She passed away around the time of the January marathon and the runDisney community has not been the same. The shirts we wore had her famous sign on the back and we received a lot of compliments. Some people knew what the shirts were for and some did not, but now they know.


We also wore matching flowers from Fellow Flowers. This is a great company that is meant to bond fellow female/mother runners. We wore orange flowers and the meaning behind orange is this: 
"Bold. Honoring the journey of friendship. We are connected. Fiercely united. Marching on...one foot in front of the other. For health, for hope, for each other. To cherish, to protect - always. Believe. Achieve. Bloom. Endure." We thought that color was perfect for our shirts.

Did I mention the 5K was cold? I'm pretty sure we all lost feeling in all parts of our bodies at some point. After we warmed up a little bit, we headed out to Animal Kingdom. Yes, we wore our flowers.

The parks were kind of crazy, but we were able to hit Expedition Everest, some of the animal trails and of course, lunch. We went to Yak and Yeti and feasted on some delicious food.

My friend Michelle joined us that night and it was another early night. The 10K was bright and early (we had to be on the bus by 4 am) and we had to get our rest.

I have more posts coming this week. It was an incredible weekend and I cannot wait to share the rest!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails