Monday, February 9, 2015

Never Say Never - Golabki

When I was growing up my Mom would make golabki (Polish cabbage rolls) and I couldn't stand it. She even tried to con me into eating it by calling it "hamburger wrapped in cabbage." Pass.

I swore I would never make this dish. Not in this house! Fast forward a few years and a head of cabbage arrives in my produce basket. What to do with this? 

Golabki.

As I was making my shopping list I could not believe I was actually going to do this. I made up the stuffing and it smelled amazing. This is going to be awesome, I thought. 

I began to boil the cabbage. The smell hit and I started to have my doubts/flashbacks. This is not going to end well...

I stuffed the cabbage, rolled it up, placed it in the pan and covered it in the sauce. Here goes nothing...

The timer dinged and I pulled it out of the oven. Scott and I hovered over the casserole dish. I had to give myself a pep talk. "Come on, Amanda. You're Polish, you can do this." I took a forkfull and...


Meh. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't awesome either. It honestly wasn't as bad as I remembered. Scott loved it though and has been eating the lion's share.

I can't say that I will be making this again any time soon. I feel like I did my duty as a Polish girl and gave it a try. That counts for something, right?

Have you tried a recipe again that you hated as a child?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good for you for trying it! Not gonna lie - that does not sound appetizing to me.

There so sooo many things I don't mind that I HATED as a kid...meatloaf & chicken pot pie. NOT my favs, but same reaction "meh" describes it well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails